Saturday, July 7, 2007

Doomed to Freedom

I believe Kierkegaard said that anxiety is dizzying in the face of freedom. Very well, but let's not forget the words of a certain 21st century philosopher, currently residing in Pittsburgh...
"Watching Will Ferrel Movies and singing Karaoke in the church gym is partying in the face of freedom. Yeow!"

It's been a little over 24 hours since my baby left me (with my baby) and went to Utah. I've decided to chronicle my adventures in radical freedom (and I mean radical in both the Bill and Ted sense and the other sense). So here it goes:

Day 1
I dropped Liz, Max and Marianne off at the airport and proceeded directly to our apartment pool. I graced my fellow residents with my luminescent presence for what must have been two hours but still failed to acquire anything resembling a tan. Next I headed to the latest Will Ferrel-make you feel yucky-but still make you laugh offering, Blades of Glory.

I had heard good things so I was half expecting to not feel as yucky. This was not to be. BoG, as I will henceforth refer to it, was aaight but I was a little disappointed. It received generally favorable reviews according to Metacritic.com. But I didn't even think it was as good as Talladega Nights. On a side note, I'm beginning to think that Jon Heder can't really act, at least not in most comedic roles. He's like a funny vacuum. He was given a character who had the potential to be hilarious, but he sucked the funny right out of him. This is sad, I've been rooting for him since Napoleon Dynamite. Maybe his delivery only becomes funny when its that sort of dead pan off-beat, feed off the quirkiness of your characters comedy.
Anyway, after the movie (at which I believe I was first checked out and then ridiculed for being alone by several 13 year old girls) I shot hoops for about 2 hours and then read about Hugh Nibley online for way, way too long. Speaking of way, way too long. I realize this blog is getting to that point or has long since passed it. Anyway to make a long story short, I went to sleep, woke up 5 hours later, drove to Uniontown (about 45 minutes South of my home) did some work for LDS Family Services. Afterward I drove directly to the Ward Pinewood Derby, at which there was both a traditional and a modified (read involving rocket engines) competion. I then capped the night off by singing heartwrenching, showstopping renditions of Mack the Knife, New York, New York, Let's Stay Together and Runaround Sue for my fellow Saints. Tears were shed, hearts were lifted and ears were only occasionally covered. Now I'm home blogging for you.
Overall, it's been an eventful 24 hours full of things I would never get away with were my wife and child present, but I must say that nothing feels as full or satisfying without Liz and Max.

I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

I ain't seen me no Talledega, but I fo show gone dun seen me the Blades. The blades make Jeff laugh.

Unused Account said...

Ahhhh...feeling sad for you and your lonliness.