Sunday, June 8, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance...Worth It?

I figure we need to post something in order to keep up viewer loyalty. People start to fall away when you don't manage your blog. So I thought I would share some of my thoughts about one of my perennial favorite T.V. shows, "So You Think You Can Dance".

I've been following this show since season one and I have to admit I get embarrassingly obsessed with it. However this year might be the year for me to overcome my obsession. I will outline the reasons why...

#1 Nigel has Australian soap-star hair.

#2 Nigel gives off a creepy-choir-teacher-needy-histrionic vibe. (It's possible I could have written that as one word in Swedish)

#3 Mary, in addition to just being Mary, has now started to be Nigel's mindless judge robot. Perhaps you've noticed that she basically waits to see what Nigel says and then says the exact same thing.

#4 Since the show started, the selection process has become less about dance and more about having an image. Your image choices seem to be the following:

a. Sensitive Male Contemporary- You will wear man-capris, sport a funky hairdo, make heart outlines on your chest, and kick without pointing your toes.

b. Feisty Female Contemporary- You will wear hot pants and dance like this.



c. "Urban" Male- You may choose from any number of "sick" dance styles...pop and lock, breaking, hip-hop, krumping, etc.



Your main purpose will be to "dance for you life" every week and make Nigel feel like he's teaching dance to troubled youth in an inner-city school. You will not be allowed into the finals.

d. "Urban" Female- Same as above only you will be cut even earlier due to the fact that you wear baggy jeans instead of hot pants.

e. Ballroom Female- You will be hot. This will get you far, but you will still have to deal with "dancing for your life". When you do this you will swivel your hips and act as provocative as possible to distract attention from the fact that you can't dance without a partner.

f. Ballroom Male- Same as above.

#5 I'm like an old jaded dance-junkie. It takes an awful lot to give me a dance-high. It seems like I see the same moves being recycled over and over and over again.

What do you think? Is "So You Think You Can Dance" worth it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon, I didn't know you were so tuned in to the dance world. You motivated me to watch the show last night(we've never really watched it before). And, Porter watched the popper-guy video like 3 times. Did the girl from SLC make it into the top 20?

Jon, Liz, Max and Luke said...

No she didn't. She was very close. But several of the contestant in the Top 20 are from SLC. I think the show is better now that they're into the part with choreography.

Carrie and Tyson said...

I love this show! I got hooked last season when Tyler was born and I was under house arrest. Though don't you ever just want to press the mute button as soon as Mary opens her mouth...