
So I had a funny Max moment yesterday. We were waiting in the car for Liz as she was getting some groceries. I decided to turn on some music to appease the young Maxwell and it wasn't long before I heard the intro to "Welcome to the Jungle". After a quick mental debate about whether I should corrupt Max with Butt Rock at his tender age, I decided that I should. As you might already know, one cannot listen to "Welcome to the Jungle" without singing/screaming along in one's best thrasher voice. As I did my best Axl impersonation, I looked back to find Max fairly amused with my wailing.
Anyway, I'll fast forward to the good part. There's this section in the song when Axl says, "Welcome to the jungle baby. You're gonna diiiiiiiee!" Few lines capture the essence of Butt Rock better than that line, so of course I recited it with a little more gusto than the others. Apparently this inspired Max, because he immediately began singing/talking in his own thrasher voice. The most prominent word in all of it seemed to be...DIIIIIIIEEEE! I think I win the World's Best Dad award.
I'd like to hear about your favorite Butt Rock moments as well as your stories of teaching innocent, beautiful children how to scream inappropriate words.
7 comments:
On teaching innocent, beautiful children how to scream inappropriate words.
We have just curbed Ella's penchant for saying Dammit! Wonder where she heard that? Hmmmm.....
Although, we still ahven't introduced her to my favorite butt rock song of all time "If You Want Blood" by AC/DC. You beat us on that one.
I wouldn't worry too much about corrupting your young son with butt rock- Shaun has been doing it with Ty since he was born. There is a website called Baby Rock Records where you can buy your favorite butt rock cd- but set to lullaby type instruments. Ty has been listening to Metallica for three years now. And now Shaun beams with pride when MEtallica comes on the radio and Ty yells from the back seat "Rock On Dad!"
So, not to split big 80's hairs but, in my mind bands like Guns and Roses and Metallica aren't really butt rock. So, I would say that you are less corrupting them and more enriching them in the true 80's rock culture. Now if you were to start in with some "Poor some sugar on me" (I know your ideal song) or maybe Bon Jovi "I'm a cowboy, On the steel horse I ride" (one of my ideal 80s songs) them we would be talking.
Matt, you're getting at something. Both Metallica and Guns n' Roses made good music. I felt a little uneasy about the label "butt rock" but at the same time that label gets at something...the high pitched wailing and the uttering of ridiculous phrases like "Welcome to the jungle baby..." But yes, they are head and shoulders above Def Leppard or Bon Jovi.
Brothers it's great to see you talking about butt rock when So many years ago you were both proclaiming your shame of me for listening to it. Mind you I was never a hardcore serious fan. But I'm glad to see that you indeed do like the music of our uncle. I must say I love the songs Matty Cat mentioned. pour some shook up ramen. delightful! p.s. I LOVE that max was butt rockin it out
I LOVE that he latched on to "DIEEE".
Brad's parents took us to the Hard Rock Cafe (ok, they ALWAYS take us to the Hardrock Cafe, because despite the fact that there are MILLIONS of great restaurants in SoCal, they are highly distrustful of non-chain restaurants. But another story for another time.) and Gabe starts ROCKING OUT. Head banging, holding ketchup and mustard up to his ears, shaking the table, pounding the forks, rocking out.
Now his has entered his more civilized Jazz phase. If we play anything--ANYTHING--that is not jazz music, he says, "I don't LIKE it." In church today he stuck his fingers in his ears during the hymns.
I had a dream last night that you had a new post...I guess it was just a dream...
Post a Comment